Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Rustic Pressure Treated Stairs

I've been meaning to get to this spot. Those nasty old railroad ties just didn't cut it. At one time I wanted to do the area with stone, much like the area in the previous entry. However I was running low and the place up the road closed their doors a few months ago.

I had no idea how many steps I would come up with...not too good with that kind of math. The job was started at the bottom and worked up. Getting the stringers right was probably the hardest part of the job (lot's of adjustments)...and then quite a bit of dirt was removed as well...about seven large wheel barrel loads...and as usual some leftover roots. There was a 15 inch Maple just to the left of the stairs two years ago.

Everything is tied together with 6 inch bolts on the outside and pre drilled holes with 12 inch pieces of 1/2 inch rebar pounded into the steps keeping them together. Like the retaining wall that I haven't figured out how to finish, the PT was distressed with the chainsaw. Running out of projects. I may have to consider a part time job to keep busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment