Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A New Project

Considering I can't get far with my video production..for now...a new project. I stumbled across an email from an old fraternity bro. Actually he's in charge of the alumni. In recent years I've just scanned his updates but this time noticed they needed a webmaster. Frankly the current site was very boring and dated. The guy in charge knows programming very well, but is very weak on design.

So it's time to bring the fraternity site into 2012. Below is a first draft. Actually I've tinkered with so much it's probably my 20th draft. This comprehension thing of mine is gaining ground. Could it really be about what you eat?


I'm finding all sorts of gizmos to use, including this free calendar that practically anyone can update, but adding those little graphics does take some getting used to for a novice. I've looked at all the fraternity charge websites and only one looks like competition in so far as nice looking. I'm hoping these alumni can be proud of what they have once the annual convention takes place August 1.

It's an important time for the fraternity because some yahoo brothers back in the early 90's let the house and everything else go down the tubes. Now there's help being offered in building a brand new house and I wanted to be a part of it...finally.

There's gonna be all sorts of cool stuff..IF I GET WHAT I WANT, particularly pictures and information about the current members and so forth. I can even get some video up there as I have a separate page devoted to that. All someone has to do is send good  raw footage and it's almost done. We'll have a message from Andy (the president of the alumni) but his wife will have to handle nearly all of it.

I'm excited about this. Let's see..some more pics...this looks clearer..I had no idea how to embed another website into the existing. Now there's no reason to go off this site to see the main fraternity site..but it needs some tinkering to size the whole page.


Photo galleries. No clicking required. Just hover over a small image and it shows in the big box. Notice "need description." That's what it's all about to make this thing hum...I know two guys in the main pic. Time to go outdoors. I've let things go the past ten days. The lawn hasn't been mowed in three weeks.


Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Squirrel Proof Birdhouse - Feeder

I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Two years battling with their incessant appetites. I didn't see many this spring so there wasn't a problem. But the past few weeks....

Methods Tried
  • Tried greasing the pole
  • Wrapped the pole with aluminum thinking it would be too slick for them to climb
  • Wrapped barbed wire around the top of the platform
  • BB gun
  • 22 Cal gun thinking the noise would scare 'em off.
None of those methods worked.


Then an idea clicked. Place some screening over the platform. I had to take the top off to lay some wire mesh with half inch squares, thinking no squirrel can get their snout through it. Another thought was I had to make it tight so their weight would not collapse the mesh making it easy pickings again. By using some blocking supports the mesh sits about 3/4 of an inch off the platform.


Two days and those critters must be crying the blues through the woods. Hell, they have enough nuts here and there if they can think of where they buried 'em. This way it just means they have to work harder but there hasn't been a good acorn drop since 2009.


I was concerned the birds couldn't get their beaks in to get the goodies, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I had a few dozen titmouse's out there this morning feasting. By the way, I think it's bear proof now too. I had to rebuild it with more reinforcing.


Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Petunias On A Hill Part 4

Previous Entries

Part I
Part II
Part III

It's becoming obvious what these trailing Petunias like when watching how they grow in certain areas. The most abundant growth shows on the ledge atop a small wall along the driveway. A good potion of that soil is thick Georgian clay transported from half way up the driveway. I actually thought it would be the worst growing soil, but it was mixed in with new composted mulch. I think it has more to do with the absorption qualities of the clay.


This is also the only area where none were cut back, so they have had a chance to grow. It's also an area that has not been fertilized. The ones on the bank aren't doing so well, but they were cut back. I do have some on the other side, almost out of view that are doing better. See below.


I do have some annual Verbena and white Angelonia in the boxed areas, but it seems they are slow going. My feeling is the soil is loose and loses water too quickly. But the past three weeks all areas have received lot's of water. Two inches of rain and another two or three from the sprinkler system. As hot as it gets in this spot it does need quite a bit of attention, or so it seems.

Moving down the driveway it's much like the upper bank. Slow going after a haircut two weeks ago. Oh well, these little buggers last into November so there's still plenty of time.


Looking at the other side of the driveway, no fertilizer or cutting back except for the Angelonia that is beginning to thrive. Some folks say they like neglect  and dry conditions, but not around here. My best example of that are the two wine barrels I have with the soil always staying moist.  One shown below.