Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Petunias On A Hill

Over the years hardly anything grew on this hill except for a few wildflowers and other assorted weeds. Surely because of the dryness because daffodils do okay during the rainier months of late winter. Now it's time to see if I can create a cascading flow of trailing Petunias in the area. I'm figuring one every 1 1/2 square feet (two feet?) or something like 100 plants.


The area gets very good sun nearly all year but doesn't begin seeing it until 11AM in the early summer. Soil is a little acidic or 5.0 PH. Consensus says Petunias are forgiving but like it in the 5.5 to 6.0 range. A few tests show the current soil in the 5.0 range. Add in some composted wood chip mulch and manure sitting nearby from the fall I'm thinking I could have success.


By adding a few soaker hose lines the moisture problem is resolved. This should be interesting. That takes care of 100 Petunias, where to place the other 200? Maybe I'll extend it further up the drive and take out the pine trees. I hope I don't run short. Order another 200 or so?

May weather in March...

No comments:

Post a Comment