Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pikes Family Nursery - A Good Alternative

The company had been mentioned several times at Dave's Garden so I investigated more by making two visits. One in Cumming and the other in Woodstock, Georgia about two weeks ago. After all I'm finding it's getting boring seeing the same old thing at Lowes and Home Depot.

Great landscaping out front! Only if I had a pic of the right side front entrance that was loaded with Angelonia.


Anyway some things the other places don't carry that I found interesting.
  • Lysimachia golden globes - similar to creeping Jenny but with yellow flowers in mid summer.
  • White star creeper
  • Snow in summer 
  • Duranta Aurea
Getting late into the season. Not as many small annuals are around, but I managed to get sucked into some actual house plants. No, they won't be going into the house! The looked unique so I thought why not, but I didn't really know what I was buying.

Some names...
  • Alternanthera Dentata
  • Acalypha - Tiki Peach Whirl
  • Rex Begonia
  • Swedish Ivy

Pikes is a great alternative but only one drawback; good descriptions of plants are lacking. Sure I could have pulled out that Iphone and handled  some internet searches but it's so damned slow. I don't understand the popularity really. Prices a bit higher or on par with the big box stores in the items I was looking at. Plenty of selection and a vast indoor area (not shown) for other accessories, soil etc.




Here are some previews of what's been going on around here. Naturally the Impatiens are thriving like crazy..


...and so is the creeping Jenny. So much that it can be found in about six locations now. Hey the lawn is actually hanging in there too. Overall, great differences from this time last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment