Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Oak Fall Color On Rich Mountain

These are the oaks I've been talking about shown on Rich Mountain. Other trees are near bare of leaves. Rich Mountain lies north of state road 52 and east of 515 with a maximum peak elevation over 4,000. Not all my oaks have lost their leaves; a few remain but they are away from the cabin. Still not identified, but I'll get around to it. They are colorful once the light hits them, otherwise bland looking.



Identifying all the larger trees around here is a real piece of work. So far I know I have the following.

  • Poplar
  • Red Oak - type?
  • White Oak- type?
  • Black Cherry
  • Maples
  • Chinaberry - yea that's an odd one
  • Sycamore
  • Flowering Dogwood
  • Hickory
  • Sweet Gum
  • White Pine
  • Eastern Red Cedar

And there are a few of these. At first I though it was a swamp oak due to the very rough bark. Now I have no idea. This is the hardest I've found to split for firewood, and yet part of the trees that were cut down years ago! Still tough as nails. Had to cut a slit with the circular saw to get a wedge in there to split.

Flower updates. They're still alive! these things are hearty as well. Forgot the name already. I'm bad:(

No comments:

Post a Comment