Saturday, February 14, 2009

PCH - California Route 1 Trip

I've been wanting to do it for years and I wasn't about to let this unpredictable weather get in the way. The Saturday forecast looked pretty awful and a window of what appeared to be cloud free skies was visible at 9AM yesterday. I would be paying an extra night of lodging at the Holiday Inn Express because it was non refundable if I left early.

Was it worth it? You betcha. I had driven the PCH years ago from Long Beach to Laguna and thought I would see much the same. Pictures tell the story. It is so diverse. Rocky coastline, marshland, cattle grazing, areas of Redwood trees, high and low elevations, cliffs...plenty...even a hidden out of the way waterfall. I took so many pictures the fresh battery died on my camera.

Plenty of road signs like this. The highway may not be suited for some.


Stopping at least 20 times, there are many pull over areas for looking at the coastline. Picked up some great video too. Hopefully over the next few days I'll have something to show once I get the Frisco trip completed.

The seven hour trip covered about 250 miles making it to Carpenteria, just south of Santa Barbara. I would definitely like to do it again, but not alone, stopping over in Big Sur for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment