Monday, January 12, 2009

Too Crowded For Me

Staying over night in Plano Texas north of Dallas. Driving around on a Sunday it was obvious this town is too crowded for me. I can tolerate the congestion I'll be up against the next 4-5 weeks, but gimme that rural life any day of the week! The LA area should be a real treat! It's been thirty years since I travelled those roads.

About that Holiday Inn Express. I shouldn't be handling any brain surgery today. Don't get me wrong, nice place, but who empties dumpsters at 4:30 AM? There are restaurants and businesses in front and behind the hotel, so it was continual banging for about ten minutes. And about that musty smelling water.... The local water source goes on to note this.

Why does my water smell and taste bad?

"This may take place during the summer months. A combination of low water levels in our reservoirs and high temperatures are excellent conditions for the growth of algae. The algae then creates an oil which permeates the water and creates an almost muddy, musty smell and taste. However, the water is safe to drink. The City of Plano purchases its treated water from the North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD). According to the NTMWD, they treat the water for algae, but can remove only about 90%. The condition will persist until cooler weather arrives. Again, the water is safe to drink, but may not be very pleasant to taste."

Cool traffic graphics at this link. I'm sure other metro areas have similar but it's the first time I've looked into such. I wonder how accurate it is? Only time will tell as my plans have changed to reach Midland, TX later today instead of the 8 1/2 hour drive to Roswell, NM.

No comments:

Post a Comment